June 14, 2019 

An Evening in Roatan 

This morning we were leaving, so we had to get up and pack since we were taking off from Loma de Luz at 7am. We got up around 6 and started packing, which wasn't a whole lot of work as we didn't have that much to pack. Everyone was hanging around saying goodbye to us, which was very nice. At 7, Rigo, Anthony, and Amanda all showed up in their car to pick us up. We all said goodbye to everyone and then loaded into the car. We stopped by their house as it turned out that Rigo wasn't taking us to the airport, but his wife was. We made it into La Ceiba without any trouble (they were slightly worried about political roadblock issues). We stopped by a pharmacy on the way to pick up some more medicine that is too expensive in the states ($200 vs $5) and then they dropped us off at the airport. Our flight was scheduled to Roatan at 2pm, but we were able to get on to a 11am flight instead so that we didn't have to sit at the airport for 4 hours. The flight was uneventful, and then after we got to Roatan, we got picked up by a local tour guide named Alex, who we had gotten connected to as his Mother and Grandfather were visiting Loma de Luz the other day. He took us to our hotel, which was more like a super deluxe ocean-side private apartment, and then we went to a local restaurant where we got fried chicken, rice and beans, fried plantains, and orange Fanta pop. After lunch, we went back to the hotel and got into our swimsuits, and then loaded into this tiny little boat to go snorkeling. We got out to the snorkeling and as soon as we got into the water, it was amazing. We ended up swimming through schools of fish, with manta rays, and with sea turtles, all in their natural habitat. After about an hour of snorkeling, we got back into the boat and went over to an area where we watched a dolphin show (where they were feeding dolphins and they were doing tricks) and then we went and saw starfishes and some weird trees. Finally we went back to the hotel and then went and got showered up. We walked on the beach for awhile, and then chose a nice restaurant about 30 feet from our hotel, where I was able to get a giant burger with cheese and onion rings and avocado and it was amazing. Afterwards, we walked on the beach for a half hour or so before going back to the hotel and going to bed. Fell asleep pretty quickly as it had been a long day. 

The view from the La Cieba airport

Mom and Dad at the restaurant 


  1. Thanks for keeping up with this journal Tovin! Love the pictures too!!


Post a Comment